Penny-pinching car geek's guide to racing, track days, and car build. DIY projects, product reviews, and interviews.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Minor updates about E-bay coilover kits

In order to get the ride height I wanted, I had to have a new groove machined 50mm below the lowest groove to lower to spring perch. 6 inch springs would have worked, but I was slightly concerned with coil bind, especially if I upgrade the tophats for more travel someday.

One thing to note is that the spring perch is now very close to hitting the upper control arm. It is the inboard side that is very close to hitting the control arm. However, you can get it right up there and it won't hit it along the range of motion. If I remember correctly, at full gravity droop it was not hitting. Good enough for me!

If you live in north-central Florida, I highly recommend Stuart's Cycle to do this kind of job. They have decent machine shop equipment and are very prompt. In fact, when I took them in they were getting ready for a race that weekend. The owner told me he'll get it done in two hours, and it was done a bit before two hours. They are a motorcycle shop so they probably won't do any serious machine work on your engine, but I am sure they will take on whatever job they are reasonably able to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment