Penny-pinching car geek's guide to racing, track days, and car build. DIY projects, product reviews, and interviews.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Cheap Phone Mount

I was at wal-mart and I found this:

Believe it or not, Wal-mart generally chooses products that are decent quality for the price. In business school, we were repeatedly lectured on how strict their selection processes are, and it was a prime example of buyer's power and how far involved in your business they can be. 

So this should be a decent piece; however, the size of the suction cup is very small. I am not sure how it will hold up on the track. If someone tries it out, please let me know. I am broke from all the holiday spending so I will not be testing this piece. Furthermore, I already have two good working phone suction mounts.

UPDATE: A local enthusiast told me that the suction cups on these things are too small to provide the stability you want. If you buy this and you are really penny-pinching, I recommend this: Drill two holes on the dash, and loop a zip-tie through it to hold it down on the dash. It is semi-permanent but the lap timer holder will double as a cell phone holder. Another option is to get heavy duty velcro and see if there are any suitable places to mount the holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment