Penny-pinching car geek's guide to racing, track days, and car build. DIY projects, product reviews, and interviews.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sway bar short endlinks

Total Price: 19 dollars.
End link prices are pretty high. I don't really understand why. I guess when the endlink uses exotic-ish lining on the heim joints to reduce noise might get expensive. Some people build from parts they got from McMaster-Carr. Everything I find on McMaster-Carr that I found elsewhere, M-C had the higher price. Of course, McMaster-Carr does sell a huge variety of products in a single catalog that makes it easy for you to browse.  Furthermore, their customer service is excellent, and shipping is fast.  So if you need high-end rod ends quickly, say for your formula car's pushrod end,  it would make sense to go with them.  Otherwise, keep searching! Or just go with what I found.

I bought short endlinks from ISC racing before. Good price. I broke that endlink when I crashed into a curb over the summer, so I went on hunting for a replacement one.

QA-1 Racing, the guys who make the springs I have on my car, are also rod end manufacturers. Total cost is 19 dollars for two short endlinks. Check out their website. For the Miata, you want the 10mm right hand thread MCF rod ends, male and female. Two of each. You can get two jam nuts from a local hardware store for about 50 cents. You will have to source the spacers elsewhere though. I just found some spare nuts and threaded the rod end mounting bolts through it. Sure beats spending 70 dollars on a set. 

QA-1 has a minimum order of 25 dollars. But if you get both front and back sets it should clear the minimum order. They also have prompt customer service. When I asked for part weights and other specifications, I got a reply the next day with the information I wanted.

My car is really noisy to begin with, so I might not be noticing it, but I didn't notice any additional noise. Tolerances are pretty acceptable to me, measured totally scientifically by taking the rod ends and bolts and moving them around by hand. They also survived use at the local road course, and both me and my co-driver went off course that day.

Link to company: QA-1 Motorsports

No comments:

Post a Comment