Penny-pinching car geek's guide to racing, track days, and car build. DIY projects, product reviews, and interviews.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Goals goals goals. Project OLD-AZENIS (but not 215 old)

Wow. It has been months since my car has roared in its 1.6 liter rage. I haven't done any of the projects that I said I was going to do. Its gotten a few more rust spots on the surface and I haven't washed it in a long time. 

On the other hand, I've been doing better at school. Dean's list baby! My grades still aren't that great but now I can say I'm a dean's list student and am an editor on two journals. Pimp! I still don't feel like I am very good at school. If you hear me talk about this it is usually because I am in disbelief and not because I want to boast about it. Besides, that is like walking around telling everyone that you are a nerd. I haven't changed at all you suckas. 

We all need goals. I think my problem with this motorsports hobby is that I haven't had a goal in recent years. I have less drive to do these projects and things just haven't been happening. So tonight, I propose the following goals:

1. Pass the minute mark at Gainesville test track on Falken Old-AZENIS. I'm about 2.5 seconds away. My benchmark driver is a bit less than a second faster. I don't have many more mods to do in the near future.

2. Organize either - a Miata-only track event before I graduate law school OR
Start a graduate school track day club before I graduate from law school.

How will I reach these goals?
The good: My camber settings are always eyeballed. Properly tuning them should solve a lot of problems. Also, I still haven't done my RX-7 MAF swap and air intake fabrication. With these two I think I can get within the target time without an issue.
The bad: I'm going to have to downgrade my front brake pads because I can't afford another set of Hawk blacks. Old-Azenis are discontinued and mine are about 40% worn; I have probably less than 3 events to do this on. 
The Ugly: Trying to balance school and time. I will also be having a co-driver next event so that is even less seat time to achieve my goal in.

Short-term project Old Azenis begins here!

1 comment: