Penny-pinching car geek's guide to racing, track days, and car build. DIY projects, product reviews, and interviews.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Koi fish


I bought three cheap 5 dollar koi last night. They are about 3 inches long. I got a 10 gallon tank to keep them with.This is a motorsports blog, and why am I talking about koi fish?

Koi fish are one of the ten long-living creatures commonly referred to in far east cultures. These guys can live anywhere from twenty to fourty years. They are basically nicely colored carp. As we all know, they are kept for their very cool coloration.

Actually, I've always wanted turtles but pet stores can't sell them here. But I've always wanted koi also. When I was a college student, I used to go to the Scripps cottage pond at San Diego State University to relax watch turtles and koi fish. Ever since then, I've wanted my own pond. I would make it look very nice and put in really cool bridges and viewing areas.


One of the reasons I wanted to be successful is because I want to move ahead in my racing hobby. I really do want to get into road racing someday. In order to do that, raise a family, and make sure my kids get pretty cool education, I think I would have to be a bit more than average.

So how does this relate to motorsports? It doesn't really. But I'm hoping these guys will live long and get bigger for long after I graduate. When I can afford to race, own my own house with that pond I dream about, that is where they will live, and not get eaten by some bird right when I do that.



Scripps cottage pond. Picture from SDSU website

No comments:

Post a Comment