Penny-pinching car geek's guide to racing, track days, and car build. DIY projects, product reviews, and interviews.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Baseline Planning


Some information about my current car:
I'm building it to STS ish spec, so I can periodically run the car in PAX and compare my times with STS competitors at autocross events. Mainly, I'll be working on myself as a driver and developing the car at local track day events.

Current state:
1992 Mazda Miata
Fuji Racing flywheel
Mystery Flyin' Miata springs (lowers the car a bit)
99 Miata front sway bar
Test Pipe
14x6 hollow spoke wheels or 15x7 Konig Rewinds



First, I need to take some measurements and determine the suspension setup.

1. Find out if the FM springs are of the old type (342 lb/in, 228 lb/in) or the new type (318 lb/in, 218 lb/in). I emailed Kieth Tanner from FM to get some more information. The springs were changed over sometime in 2006. He gave me some identifying tips, so when I am done with exams I'll get under the car and figure everything out.

2. I need to measure the front sway bar diameter. I think it is 23mm.

Second, After I have these measurements, I will figure out the roll couple ratio to determine target balance for when I further upgrade the car's suspension. I will plug in the numbers to a spreadsheet and come out with my current balance in terms of front roll couple ratio. (FRC%). This number shows the roll couple ratio front and back. Front roll couple ratio of 52% means that the rear roll couple is 48%. This number is used to determine the balance of the car. For now, whatever number I come up with using the measurements above will be the target.

Thirdly, I would like to see if I can get my car on a dyno to determine what power I am putting down. I don't plan on developing the engine that much, but it would be very nice to have baseline information to work off of. I may not do this since I am on a limited budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment