Penny-pinching car geek's guide to racing, track days, and car build. DIY projects, product reviews, and interviews.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Sparco Sprint V review (Seat / Harness install part 1)

My race seat arrived in the mail. The vendor was out of black ones so I settled on a red one instead of having it back ordered for over a month. This is the Sparco Sprint 5 seat. It is FIA rated so you can run the seat with no back brace under most race sanctioning bodies, including SCCA and NASA. This seat is a tube frame and this version of the Sprint seat comes with both side and bottom mounts.

Specs
Weight: 19.8 lbs
(Stock seat 27.2 lbs )
FIA rated
Side/bottom mount
Tubular steel construction
Hip width 19"

The sit does not fit snugly on me. It is definitely made to fit a wider range of people, even though I am pretty average sized. I have about an inch and a half left on each sides of my hip. My shoulders are also a bit too broad. However, I am still pretty comfortable in the seat and there is no doubt it will hold me in place much better than the stock seat.


The fit and finish was "so-so." Quality was what would be expected for an entry level seat. It looks great though. The fabric is stapled to the frame and tucked under harness slot lining. Not very permenant. But the stitching looks wonderful and should belp keep the fabric in place. Fit and finish isn't a big deal for me, but durability is. We'll see how it goes.

More detailed pictures of the bottom, side mounts and the harness slots. Click on the pictures to see full resolution.



Copyright 2009, 2010 (c) by Jerry Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment